Meet Lottie.
She's a satchel. (or she will be by the end of this week. Probably sooner than that.) I am gifting her to my childhood best friend who happens to be coming for a visit this weekend.
I used a bigger button for Lottie. If yours is smaller, feel free to do 5, 4 or 3 stitch buttonhole. I did mine according to the tutorial on knittinghelp.com and reinforced the ends.
Lottie is my own modification of this pattern.
Gauge/Needles:
I used fingering weight yarn on 3mm needles.
I got approximately 7 sts. x 11 rows for a square inch.
Abbreviations:
k - knit
p - purl
MC - main colour
CC - contrasting colour
Co - cast on
Bo - bind off
sts - stitches
Making Lottie is simple:
- Co 40 in CC
- 3 rows in stockingette stitch. (knit a row, purl a row)
- k 17, 6 stitch buttonhole (a one row hole), k 17
- k 40 (second row of garter stitch.)
- *k2, p2* (repeat from *) ending with a knit pair
- *p2, k2* (repeat*) ending with a purled pair
- repeat these two rows until ready to switch colours. It's really up to you when you'd like to switch, I did 8 rows
- Switch to MC
- k every row (garter stitch) until work measures 9-10 inches long, or however long you'd like
- Bo 40 sts.
- Seam both sides, leaving the top flap to fall down over the pocket.
- Sew button on where buttonhole meets front of pocket.
- Embellish as desired. If you used 100% wool, you can felt it with a load of towels in a hot wash, and air dry, OR just hand wash in hot water with a bit of soap and lots of agitation (spoons? maybe a scrubbie?) until it shrinks to desired size/felts to desired texture.
Isn't she cute?
Esther, this is beautiful. I am sure that your friend was very touched by your kindness. You have already surpassed me by knitting these things. Love Mom
ReplyDeleteHey, so I couldn't see a way to reply to you other than to do this! You asked me about how I figured out the Saartje's bootees strap...I didn't!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't figure out what the instructions said AT ALL so I fudged it. I wound up using backwards loop method to cast on stitches for the strap, which was a bit too loose so I had to go back and tighten it up a bit (by "seaming" it). The other thing is that after the right strap, I don’t understand how you are supposed to have the tail at the end of the strap, but maybe I’m just dumb? I went back through with a tapestry needle to get the end of the yarn to the end of the strap to make the button loop, which was annoying but reinforced the straps a bit.
I cannot wait to start this. My mother's name was Lottie and it's not very popular so when I saw this I was surprised. Thank you so much for coming up with this pattern and the name of it.
ReplyDeleteI just found this pattern on Ravelry and I had to start it immediately. My mother's name was Lottie and I'm knitting it in her memory. I plan on putting one of her hankies and possibly one of her pins inside when I display it. I can't thank you enough for designing this and for the name.
ReplyDelete