Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I have been planning a little celebration at my house for the past week....a celebration of the spring, and the fertile earth awakening! Ostara is traditionally celebrated on or around the 21st of March, and focuses on the light in the earth awakening, the grasses beginning to grow, and rabbits (and other animals) giving birth.

In lieu of this celebration I decided to try out an amazing tutorial I found online...for making egg-shaped beeswax candles!
        
Step one: assemble ingredients
Step 2: melt a bunch of wax!

Step three: make sure your egg is empty! (carefully poke holes at each end and blow out the middle bits)

Step 4: Separate your 4-ply cotton yarn into 2.

Step 5: Grease the wick. I used Safflower oil, because it was on hand.

6: Thread a needle and draw the wick through the egg

7. Secure the wick at the end of the egg using clay or homemade salt dough.


8. Carefully fill the egg with wax. It shrinks significantly as it cools, so be prepared to refill as needed.

If you stick the wick to the wax at the edge of the opening, you don't need to hold the wick up as the wax dries.

Gently remove the shell and inner membrane.

Trim excess.

If you have wax leftover, you can make a foot so your candle can stand on a plate.

Tah  Dah!
Many Blessings to you all in this joyous time of the rebirth of our planet and the awakening of the sleeping plants and animals! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment